Collection and freezing of canine semen is a complex multi-step process. Each step must be performed in the appropriate time frame and at the appropriate temperature to ensure survival of the semen post freezing. Each step is outlined below.
1) Initial set up and paper work $30.00. This includes thawing of buffers and preparation of the room. This fee will be charged upon making the appointment unless cancelled 24 hours in advance.
2) Semen Collection for Freezing $45.00. This is the actual collection of the semen sample. It is charged when we attempt collection of the male. It is best if there is a teaser bitch in heat available or if the male is accustomed to hand collections. Males that have not been collected previously should be worked with and accustomed to the procedure prior to scheduling a freezing appointment.
3) Semen Freezing $300.00. This is the actual freezing process and entails multiple steps. Due to this being a multi-step process, if the semen does not survive any one of the steps, the price will be pro rated to the point we have reached in the freezing process.
4) Semen Evaluation Post Thaw $25.00. After freezing the straws, 1 to 3 straws will be thawed for post thaw motility evaluation. This helps to determine how many straws are needed for each breeding.
The total for the above 4 steps is $400.00. See below for additional charges that may be associated with semen freezing.
1) Physical Exam. All NEW patients will have a complete physical exam at a cost of $50.00.
2) Brucellosis testing. Each male must have a negative brucellosis test and a copy of the negative lab results within 3 months of freezing. In house brucellosis testing can be performed the day of the collection/freezing at a cost of $40.00.
3) Microchip implantation. Each stud must have a permanent identification prior to collection. If this is not present, it can be performed the day of collection at a cost of $60.00.
4) DNA Testing. This is a requirement by AKC for any AKC registered stud on which semen is collected for freezing. If you do not already have a DNA profile, a sample can be obtained the day of collection at a cost of $50.00. This sample will be mailed the day of
collection and typically takes about 6 weeks for the AKC to process.
5) Storage of semen. All semen will be stored on-site, and there is a monthly storage fee of $10/month for up to 30 straws per owner, which will be billed on January 1st of each year (pro-rated for the year at the time of collection).
6) Shipping and retrieval of the semen. There is no cost to retrieve your frozen semen samples for personal use, however, if enough doses are available, you are welcome to have a post-thaw motility evaluation done prior to use ($25). The cost of shipping samples varies depending on destination. Domestic shipments will be handled in-house, but for international shipments, we ship your sample to Zoetis Reproductive Services, and they take it from there.